03 May 2009

Going for walks

Going for walks is a legitimate activity over here.  It is totally normal  to have spent your day 'walking around'.  "oh i took the metro to this neighborhood and walked around" is a legit way to spend your day.  Its nice, because its free, and because you can do it anytime.  

May Day is a huge deal here.  Everything was closed on May 1st.  They take it seriously.  There were also Lilly of the Valley all over the place!  It is the traditional gift to give, so people were selling them on every street corner.  

Its been cloudy here recently.  Its also been warm, as a consequence, but a little muggy.  The kind of day where you never quite know if its going to rain or not, but it never does.  I walked around the opera quarter the other day.  Its a really cool spot--very touristy, but also full of life and fun stuff to look at.  I walked from the Madeleine to the Opera and then down to the Palais Royal.  I picked up a snack on the way and got made fun of for my french.   It was in good humor, but I'm kind of over getting teased about not saying everything correctly.  I ate my snack in the Palais Royal gardens while I watched about 8 couples making out.  They never even came up for air!  Its incredible how people can do that in public.  Sometimes its nice to see people so in love, but eventually it gets a little sickening.  

Paris is still as lovely as ever.  I'm gearing up for my last week of class.  I only have one paper to write this week, and then I have 5 tests the week after that, so next weekend will be full of study time!    

No comments:

Post a Comment