03 February 2009

Wine and Popcorn

I am a classy ex-pat. and here is why:

Mer, Sasha, and I went to the Musee d'Orangerie on Saturday.  Which is the museum with the circular rooms of Monet's paintings.  There are only two of those rooms, but being surrounded by Monet is pretty cool.  Fun Paris Fact: the museum is called the Orangerie because it is built on the part of the Tuileries where the orange grove used to be.  After that, Mer and I went to Montmartre, which is one of the coolest places ever.  The church is kind of weird because it looks like a greek orthodox church, instead of a Catholic one.  And it is the kind of place with a guy standing inside going "shhhh!  shhhhh!" every few seconds.  It kind of ruins the ambiance of a place when someone is doing that.  After cruising the church we walked around the neighborhood, which is adorable.  It feels like you are miles away from Paris and you are in a small town in the country.  Supercute is the way to describe it.  We had lunch at Chez Ma Cousine which was really tasty.  We decided that Saturdays would be the days where we go out for a leisurely multiple course late lunch, and have a light dinner.  So far (one weekend) it has worked out great.

That night I went to a dinner party at a friend's homestay.  Her family was gone for the weekend, so we made crepes and had a very classy party.  Someone made brownies, and I really enjoyed them.  

I went to an organ concert at St Louis en Ile on Sunday.  It was fantastic!  Just me and a whole bunch of French people sitting in this beautiful church while someone played an instrument bigger than my house.  The program was handwritten and the sun was shining through all the stained glass--magical, if I do say so myself.  After that I got a great chocolat chaud, and wandered the island.  It was a wonderful sunny day--the first in a long while and you could tell because everyone was out that day--but it was freezing!!!!!!  Mer and I did homework and made some pasta for dinner, nothing too fancy.


Today I discovered the beauty of wine and popcorn.  After some meetings and boring stuff in the morning I met Katie in the afternoon.  We wandered, thought about getting a coffee, and decided to go to happy hour instead.  (I would like to interject that during our wandering we stumbled across "The Happy Days Diner".  We took a lot of pictures and the people sitting in it were a little puzzled as to why, when we saw it, we started giggling and skipping towards it.  The menu advertised "american milkshakes" and hot dogs for 10 euro.)  The charming thing about Paris is that they don't translate happy hour, they just leave it as is, so there are all these cute cafes with big signs advertising "Le Happy Hour".  Our restaurant was already decked out for Valentine's day, so our table was strewn with rose petals--how romantic for me and Katie.  

We really enjoyed the menu because there were all sorts of funny snacks listed.  One of them was popcorn, for 1 euro.  We decided we would go the classy route and got bread and tapenade to go with our drinks.  When we got a glass of wine after that, our waiter brought us a free basket of popcorn to go with it--classy.  First of all, I would like to say that it was some damn good popcorn.  Second of all, I'm not sure if it was free because they liked us, or because they thought we should eat something.  Anywho, the waiters got a kick out of us because we refused to take the english menu and because we would only speak to them in french.

Mer and I had dinner at Sasha's and then came home to do homework--super fun!  I just booked a trip to Florence and I have 3 people who haved booked trips to come see me in Paris, so my schedule is filling up!  I have one more week of intensive French, and then I start real classes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment