Today was also the first truly sunny day since we have been here, although it was still freezing. The weather has been in the 30's and today with the sun it might have climbed to the 40's, but it was breezy. After the church, I wandered towards the Jardin de Luxembourg and sat in the sun. The parks are so funny here because they area all very organized and mostly dirt. Even if there is grass, you are not allowed to walk on it. There are, however, tons of benches and lawn chairs to sit in. I sunned myself in the freezing cold until I couldn't feel my limbs. Then I wandered the garden, looking at all the art, and I found the little version of the statue of liberty!
All in all, it was a nice day. The neighborhood was full of shops and little tiny cobbled streets with cafes. It was an area very popular with Hemingway and all that crowd. I saw the cafes where they would hang out--Les Deux Magots (not magots, but asian sculptures) and Cafe Flore. I went to San Sulpice, which is probably one of the ugliest churches I have ever been to. It is a bad combination of architectural styles. Overall, it is a very grand building--very large, soaring ceilings, huge columns, etc. But it looks like it should be a senate building and not a church. It is also in bad need of a restoration! The organ was very impressive, however.
Mer and I had a pseudo dinner party tonight. We had four people over for omelets and wine. I don't think we can ever have a proper dinner party because we only have two burners, two chairs, four forks, four plates, and no oven. Anyway, we didn't even cook. We made one of our guests cook for us, because he is infinitely better at it.
I promise that I am working on getting pictures on this blog! Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment